Monday, March 27, 2017

Cross Country Couch

To celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary, a red couch is touring the country...



Two Polish immigrants, Peter Sobierajski and Ela Kinowska are the team behind the Red Couch Tour.

Canadians are invited to sit on the couch and, with cameras rolling, say what Canada means to them.



Their stories will be captured as short video clips and shared on social media.
Upon completion of the project, the team hopes to make a film about the tour.

“Sofas are part of our lifestyles. It represents everybody’s story,” Kinowska says. “We’re taking a symbol of gathering, joy and love out of Canadians’ living rooms and bringing it to people from all walks of life to sit together and talk about our beautiful country.”

The couch has already visited the North.





This summer, the couch will embark on an east-to-west tour by train, RV, and ferry from St. John’s, Newfoundland to Victoria, British Columbia.

The video clips I've watched reflect the pride Canadians feel about this nation; how it's a land of opportunity, freedom and diversity.

The stories so far are mostly upbeat. One man described how he's the only person who has ever skied under a moose! But the story that moved me the most was related by an older, indigenous man.

Note: The image below is a screen capture so the "play" button doesn't work.

Here's what he said...

Canada in 150 years, to me? It's not a very good story.

When I was a young man, my country had a lot of wild animals, birds, insects, fish. A lot of wildlife. Today, my country is very quiet.

Canada in 150 years has killed my country, my people, my tradition and my land. I have nothing to celebrate. It took them 150 years to destroy what was here for thousands and thousands and thousands of years. That's my opinion.

His story is a reminder that even though this is an extraordinary country that welcomes people from all over the world, we have treated our own indigenous people with disrespect. (In future, I'll discuss the tragedy and shame that is our relation with Canada's indigenous people.)

But over to you now. What item (it doesn't have to be a piece of furniture) would you like to see touring your country?

24 comments:

  1. what item would i like to see touring my country?

    donald's casket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NORMA: Hahaha!!!!!

      I’ll be there, tap dancing on the lid.

      Delete
    2. And I'll be behind you, with Norma throwing the first pile of dirt on.....

      Delete
    3. MISTRESS MADDIE: I think Norma should get busy writing his obit.

      Delete
    4. if they find that "pee-pee" tape,
      his obit will write itself.

      Delete
  2. A large trashcan and recycling bin! Keep America clean! Also, like Norma, I'd like to see the current administration and other useless famewhores being tossed into the trash or at least be composted into something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. WILL J: That could be expensive.

      Perhaps you’d consider the portable Cone of Silence?

      Delete
  4. Such a fine example of furniture is much too sophisticated for Franconia. A basical Biertisch with two banks would be enough. Easy to transport, everyone knows how to (and is not shy to) use it ; it's possible to taste & sample the local brewery's products and listen to da peopll / die Leut'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fucking Hell made it to China ! And the metal-head-festival-test gave 8.9 points, very good result. Not bad for stuff named after an Austrian village, brew'd in Saxony, sold via Berlin. Fucking Hell in fact is a Pils, fucking hell yeah !

      Delete
    2. MAGO: Shouldn’t you be wrapped up in a warm blanket with a cup of tea?

      Please try to keep calm.

      Attention, Miss Scarlet! Could you please bring the tea trolley to Mago?

      Delete
    3. Perhaps Mr Mags needs something stronger in his teapot.... yes, it is time for the Yorkshire teabag... a sure way to fend off infection.
      Sx

      Delete
  5. I know how the native man feels. My item of choice would be a high voltage cattle prod, anyone within a 4ft radius of me will receive a short, sharp shock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tea urn on a trolley and a plate of biscuits. I've had enough of all the fancy coffee. I could trundle it down dell and through meadows with new born lambs frolicking at my feet. Or perhaps a giant umbrella would be a better idea.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MISS SCARLET: It all sounds very W.I.

      By the way, I’ve found a good sturdy tea trolley for you, here.

      It should stand up to inclement weather and trundling about the English countryside.

      Delete
    2. I always wanted one of those, but instead I had to make do with a Welsh dresser.... prone to leeks, and bot as social.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. ....not, not bot.....
      I tell you my eyes are getting worse each day.
      Sx

      Delete
  7. I would like to tour London in one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *topples contents of Miss Scarlet’s tea trolley into LX’s lap*

      Delete
  8. Not sure, but I'm guessing Aussies would opt for a battered old EJ . Princess probably has better ideas.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_EJ

    ReplyDelete