Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Dinah Washington – Long John Blues




Dinah Washington is one of my favourite vocalists and I’ve been meaning to post about her sooner. Well there’s no time like the present as Prunella must visit the dentist today. So this song is for you, Prunella.

In Long John Blues Dinah sings about visiting “Long John,” the dentist with the golden touch. She sums it up best when she sings,You thrill me when you drill me, and I need you very much.





If you visit Amazon and scroll down to #4: Long John Blues, you can listen to a sample.

Long John Blues

I've got a dentist who's over seven feet tall
Yes, I've got a dentist who's over seven feet tall
Long John they call him, and he answers every call

Well, I went to Long Johns office and told him the pain was killin'
Yes, I went to Long Johns office and told him the pain was killin'
He told me not to worry, that my cavity just needed fillin'

He said, "When I start drillin', I'll have to give you novocaine"
He said, "Yes, when I start drillin', I'll have to give you novocaine"
Cause ev'ry woman just can't stand the pain"

He took out his trusted drill and he told me to open wide
He said he wouldn't hurt me but he'd fill my hole inside
Long John, Long John, you've got that golden touch

You thrill me when you drill me, and I need you very much

When he got through, he said "Baby, that will cost you ten"
Yes when he got through, he said "Baby, that will cost you ten
Six months from now, come back and see me again"

Say you're supposed to see your dentist 'bout twice a year, that's right
But I think I feel it throbbin', yes, I'll go back there tonight
Long John, Long John, don't ever move away
Say, I hope I keep on achin' so I can see you every day





Infomaniac recommends reading Queen : The Life and Music of Dinah Washington by Nadine Cohodas and listening to Dinah Washington with the lights low and a martini.

5 comments:

  1. Yummmmm Novocaine. Although, I'm more of a Nitrous girl.

    I'm going to think of this song when I go for my cleaning next month.

    Awesome post MJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you, MJ! That song is awesome, I must get that CD. I'm back and downing a bottle of wine. Thank God it is over. I know I am a big baby but I just hate the dentist so much! If only Johnny Depp was my dentist. Oh yeah, Longggg Johnny I'd open up wide for his drill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D. Prince: Nitrous? Ha!!!!!!!! Sorry, I can't stop laughing.
    First Nations: Ta very much.
    Prunella: If only Hollywood would
    put your Longggg Johnny idea onto the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooo dentists i detest the butchering evil nasty horrid scarey sadistic men

    ReplyDelete